Created by Dietitian Lauren Reardon, this easy-to-prepare oats breakfast makes for a healthy start to the day. It offers a good source of fibre and Omega 3 fats that promote good gut health. The meal will keep you feeling full while it slowly digests. Better yet, you can prepare it the night before and it will last in the fridge for several days, making it easy and quick to choose the healthy option.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup flax seed meal
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk of choice (eg dairy, lactose free, almond, coconut etc).
- Greek yoghurt and berries for serving
- Combine oats, chia seeds, flax seed meal, vanilla and maple syrup in a large bowl, mix to combine.
- Pour the milk over and stir well. This mixture should be quite runny as the oats and chia seeds will absorb a lot of the milk overnight. If you don’t add enough liquid, the oats will become hard and dry.
- Store in the fridge and serve into portions in the morning.
- Top with Greek yoghurt and berries or fruit of choice.
- Switch flaxseed meal for almond meal if you can’t find it at your local supermarket.
- Use plant-based milk (such as almond or soy) and coconut yoghurt to make this recipe dairy free.
Click here to download the easy breakfast oats recipe
See more recipe ideas below
More articles to read next
Protect Yourself with the Over-65 Flu Vaccine
Is the flu worse this year? When and why should I get the flu vaccine? Are there different vaccines for over-65s?Continue reading