Skip to content

Can I apply for funding for a family member?

Written by Freya Griffin, Communications Partner with integratedliving

Through My Aged Care you can nominate yourself to become a regular or authorised representative, allowing you to speak and act on your loved one’s behalf. The earlier this is completed, the better chance you have of fulfilling your loved one’s needs should their circumstances change.

Becoming a representative means you can give information to My Aged Care, like talking to assessors and the My Aged Care Contact Centre and its service providers. You can also get information about the progress in My Aged Care, make decisions about the aged care assessment and referrals, see updated information on aged care funding and be listed as a primary contact.

By having a conversation with your loved one about becoming their representative, you’ll soon come to understand their needs and whether you need to apply as a regular or authorised representative.

If the person you’re acting on behalf of gives you their consent, you can be set up as a regular representative. As part of this process, you can also nominate yourself as the primary contact.

An authorised representative is required if the person you’re acting on behalf of cannot give their consent. Legal documents are needed so that My Aged Care knows you can legally represent this person. Depending on the state or territory you live in, different documentation may be required. Click here for more information.

To find out home to become either a regular or authorised representative, visit My Aged Care.

When you've been appointed a representative, you'll obtain your own My Aged Care client number. You need to recite this every time you speak with My Aged Care team so they know they're speaking with the right person.

My Aged Care will contact you should they have any questions or require more information.

Wondering how you can help your loved ones start their aged care journey? You can view our recorded Carers virtual forum below to find out more:

Unsure where to start? Contact us