Takeaway fish and chips are always tempting but this healthier alternative is quick and simple to make and ticks all the nutritional boxes. This recipe uses the oven, which makes the fish and potatoes lighter and less oily. Enjoy a delicious classic without feeling guilty.
Click here to download the Fish and Chips recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 4 white fish fillets
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan (optional)
- 4 large washed potatoes
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 2 tbs chives
- 1 large pre mix salad bag (e.g. Kale Slaw or Green Goddess kit)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Cut potatoes into wedges (leaving skin on), spray with a little oil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and chives on a flat plate.
- Dust fish fillets with flour, dip into egg and then lay onto breadcrumbs to coat. Press onto breadcrumbs firmly.
- Place crumbed fillets onto baking tray and spray with a little oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add to oven with potatoes and cook for a further 15 minutes or until fish is golden and cooked through (remove potatoes if they are browning).
- Serve with lemon wedges and mixed salad.
- Add some other dried herbs to breadcrumb mixture to change the flavours.
- For an even quicker option, leave fish fillets without breadcrumbs and cook in frypan with a little oil.
- Try a combination of potato and sweet potato for the chips.
See more healthy recipe ideas below
More articles to read next
Christmas Trivia for All Ages to Enjoy
Trivia is one of those Christmas activities for friends and family to enjoy together. Try these questions out as a quiz for seniors and juniors, and keep those brain cells ticking over.